Morbid obesity surgery has been proven but is no way a the «miracle» solution. After the operation, you will need to comply with certain requirements and follow several dietary advice to ensure sustainable improvements achieved through surgical intervention. The success of your operation depends on you.
Today, we have a decrease ranging from 10 to 40 years, depending on the surgical technique, which allows us to know what are the real benefits and what are the complications.
1. The benefits observed after surgery:
- Gradual disappearance of obesity, significant and sustained weight loss
- Reduction of co-morbidities (diseases related to the weight)
- Improving the quality of life
- Significant aesthetic benefit may still be improved by surgery 2-3 years after operation
2. Your diet after surgery
- The first weeks: food mixed with, out of the clinic, discount lifestyle and dietary advice to avoid digestive problems and deficiencies
- The following months: a normal diet with regular dietary monitoring
The success of the operation depends on you
- Eat only small amounts and eat slowly munching well
- Stop eating as soon as you no longer have the sensation of hunger
- Drink rather outside meals
- 4-6 balanced and varied meals by day, take them seated and quiet
- Do not lie down after meals
- Drink only fluids without sugar, avoid very fatty and very sweet foods
- Keep a sufficient protein intake
- Avoid carbonated drinks and effervescent medications
- Practice regular physical activity
3. Complications which you can be confronted to
- Problems related to the technique itself: leakage of a suture, hernia, sliding of a ring
- Nutritional deficiencies: these deficiencies in vitamins, minerals and trace elements can be avoided by taking vitamins in Tablet and a varied and balanced diet
- The psychological difficulties associated with the modification of the body image and relationships with others
Note: the risks of mortality are not zero but still very less than 1% (compared with 2% after coronary bypass surgery for example).
4. The post-operative follow-up:
At stake, after your operation, will consist in not falling into an obesity problem. Postoperative follow-up is therefore essential to assess your weight loss, verify that you are in good health, screening and support any psychological problems you might encounter, adapt treatments if they are not well accepted and verify that your organization is well suited to the new dietary constraints.
1 month after the surgery:
You will consult the surgeon for an inspection visit. Together, you will speak your daily since the operation. You can ask him all the questions you want.
2 months after the surgery:
- You will consult the nutritionist endocrinologist that will help you to adopt a balanced and suitable diet.
- You will then visit with him every 3 months for 2 years, then every 6 months.
6 months after the surgery:
- You will again consult the surgeon.
1 year after the surgery:
- You will return to consult the surgeon for a post-operative full review. This review will be then performed annually.
2 to 3 years after the sugery :
You may, if you want to benefit from plastic surgery that will remedy the aesthetic problems related to your weight loss.