WHAT IS GASTRIC PLICATION?
Gastric banding is performed without cutting the stomach, it is done by binding the stomach with non-absorbable threads. As for sleeve gastrectomy, we make 5 micro-incisions in the abdomen.
We apply a continuous double suture so as to make large folds in the stomach.
This technique is not validated in France but is widely and successfully used in Lebanon, Iran and in some expert European centres.
Dr Richard Abittan has performed over 200 gastric plications to date.
There is no cutting, stapling, or removal of the stomach. Gastric plication can potentially be reversed or converted to other procedures if necessary.
There is no risk of fistula or staple release as with sleeve or bypass surgery
- The number of surgeons performing this procedure remains low worldwide.
- This technique may have a higher long-term weight regain rate (as do the two main types of bariatric surgery mentioned above).
This technique, however, does not present any risk of fistulas.
- Average duration of the intervention: 60 minutes
- Average length of stay: 2 to 3 days
- Approximately 10% of patients may suffer from nausea, vomiting, food intolerance, excessive salivation in the immediate postoperative period (1st week)
- Long-term follow-up: Weight regain by dilating the stomach if eating disorders reappear.
The plicated patient will have to take vitamins from the first month for one year (MVM PROWELL – SURGILINE – FITFORME)
Before leaving the clinic, an orthopaedic surgeon will come and measure your belly to provide you with a tailor-made girdle to prevent excessive sagging of the skin.